-Double.MAX_VALUE is the lowest (as in, < more other values than any
other double) double value that isn't an infinity.

Doubles are just numbers with an explicit sign bit. To flip the sign
on a double, all you do is flip the sign bit. It's not like integers
where you use 2's complement. There are thus also 2 0s (+0 and -0).