The Mac is becoming nothing but a big iPhone (without the phone or touch capabilities) for your desk. It's no longer a general computing platform -- it's becoming just another form factor for an utterly closed consumer device with a walled garden market.

I don't think Apple wants Java on it any more than they want it on the iPhone -- and it's unclear whether it is worth Oracle's while to fight this.

Sure we all want Java to be ubiquitous. But when a vendor goes this far to drive everyone else off their platforms and, unlike Microsoft, does not dominate desktop computing, how far do you go?

Perhaps there's a backroom deal floating that will come to light soon, but it really sounds like any attempts at such a deal just plain fell apart.