On Oct 22, 10:32 am, Chris Adamson <invalidn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To me, one line that stood out in Gosling's blog was this one:
>
> "Sun also provided the VM for Linux because there was no one else to
> do it."

...under the conditions of that pre-OpenJDK era - closed code, had to
pay a license etc. Like HP, IBM and others did. RedHat for example
could have done that job. The Blackdown team, as you mention below,
sort of did it, with a special arrangement to have access to Sun's
source code and TCK, but they obviously didn't have enough resources
to do a top-notch port.

A+
Osvaldo