I haven't read the full thread, but I'll throw this in.

The technical direction of the desktop will be shaped by the skill
set.

If 'most of' the world knows CSS / JS / HTML etc, then it's going to
drive the technical direction, and what ever short comings that are
currently  in these platforms will be eventually corrected.