Doing things the current way still leaves you forced to use
JavaScript.

How many people here develop with JavaScript because they really like
and enjoy using JavaScript?
How many people here develop with JavaScript because they have no
other choice?

I wish there was a bytecode which could be targeted by compilers. To
make that work would require all the browser vendors to agree on that.
There are existing bytecode formats which would be useful to reuse.
That gets into a political problem where both Microsoft and Oracle can
be sue happy and someone using just the bytecode / JIT part of the
platform without taking the rest could lead to upset. I also think the
Browser developers might have misgivings about incorporating such a VM
into their browser (a bit of 'not invented here' syndrome).

It would be great if it happened. I just don't think it will without a
lot of pressure from some big entity.