> ...but there's no reason to believe the latter.  Look at Java.

I think the forces are different here.  At the very least you have
Apple, MSFT and Google all innovating like crazy with Firefox
foundation rounding out the pack.

People are building server side stuff in javascript (node.js) which I
view as either madness or curiosity, so I wouldn't say never.

I just thing technology goes where the numbers are - an none of this
is innovation, sometime in the future someone is going to announce a
deeply embedded web technolgy based desktop stack with all the
sophistication and convenience of Delphi, circa 1995.  (But with
Webness)