On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Karsten Silz <karsten.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 30, 12:56 pm, Kevin Wright <kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Quite... The app store has a monopoly over distribution of software to iOS
>> devices.  I have no idea what definition of "monopoly" is required for
>> anti-trust though.
>
> That's been the game console model since the very beginning, and I
> don't think Nintendo, Sego or Sony were ever successfully sued as
> "single source of distribution on their platform".  Quite the opposite
> - they typically won lawsuits against companies selling adapters /
> devices to load [ pirated | "backed-up"] games on their platforms.
> And they even managed to make it an illegal business to import
> (cheaper) US games in Europe.  There are other cases too - cable TV
> boxes, Amazon Kindle hardware etc.

Couple of problems with this comparison.  Firstly, the console makers
are far from the exclusive distributor of apps for their devices.
When the only place you can buy games for the Wii is from the online
site, you are beginning to enter comparable territory.

Secondly, you are arguing from the assumption that people agree with
this level of control that the game publishers have.  It should hardly
surprise you that many disagree with it.