I was speaking to a student at our University today and it looks like
the introduction to programming is being moved from Java to C#.

I suppose that speaks of Java's demise in popularity as of late.
However it may also be just that at the time I was there, the person
who taught programming was very anti Microsoft. It may just be the new
person in charge is personally more in favour of the Microsoft camp.

As regards Visual Basic. When Visual Basic was one of the few
languages I knew (along with Turbo Pascal) it seemed OK to me.

After having learned Java and trying to go back to Visual Basic I
found it very frustrating and very much lacking in features to which I
had become accustomed.

I think C/C++ are pragmatically important to learn at some point but
they seem to take a very very long time to master. Even if you
understand perfectly the theory of how they work, it is still very
easy to make mistakes in them leading to memory problems.