On Jan 7, 2:47 pm, Ricky Clarkson <ricky.clark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A JIT, not a source compiler.  Java source compilers never see the
> whole program.

But neither do JIT's, they see subsection - usually suitable stack
frames (i.e. .NET and HotSpot) or vertical traces (i.e. Dalvik).

> I'm sure someone back in the day thought that JITs would never be able
> to inline non-final methods.

That's mostly a definition issue isn't it? You still can't inline
statically, but you CAN remember the slot in the VTABLE which was used
last time and jump directly there if not marked dirty.