On 7 January 2011 15:56, Carl Jokl <carl.j...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is also a trend towards integrating more of the computer into
> the same dye as the CPU.
>
> The memory controller went in first. The GPU is going in now. Some CPU
> (such as the Utrasparc T1 and T2) integrate a network controller.
> I could well expect the PCI Express controller to be a hot candidate
> for getting integrated. Also an APU (audio processing unit) for
> consumer processors.
> Some other controllers could also go in such as maybe USB and SATA.
>
> This kind of increased integration would reduce size and potentially
> save power. This also is a definite trend but it is hard to say how
> far it will go.
> Rather than the CPU dye being part of the computer, this system on a
> chip is the computer.
>
> I have looked at the 1000 core processor article. It does mention
> something along the lines of not being a general purpose computer as I
> read it and being aimed more at embedded scenarios. I might have
> misunderstood.
> I think a certain limited amount of use of the 3rd dimension happens
> already for modern processors. I don't know that this solves overall
> power consumption and power dissipation issues and I could see
> potential for expansion that way making chips harder to cool.

Also interesting to note is that a significant portion of current processors
is taken up by local cache memory implemented in SRAM, it's extremely likely
that this will be implemented in the future using a lower-power,
higher-density alternative such as MRAM, thus allowing more, smaller, cooler
cores.

Most predictions of future core counts are based on Moore's law, which
refers to the increasing transistor count of CPUs (not increasing clock
speeds, as some people think).  This has held true throughout the migration
to multi-core architectures.  It's ironic then that a shift from SRAM
(transistors) to MRAM (capacitors) could be the one thing that finally
breaks it!