On Jan 7, 8:22 am, Casper Bang <casper.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We've all learned that we should avoid polluting scope with temporary
> variables and exposed state, which is why we should favor iterators
> over indexing. However, there are a great deal of times where we need
> the index either directly or indirectly when i.e. operating of
> multiple aligned structures, treating the first item specially, or the
> last, etc.
Well, there is this trick invented by someone at the Technion, I
think.
public class Separator {
  private final String sep;
  private String curSep = "";
  public Separator(final String sep) {
    this.sep = sep;
  }
  public String toString() {
    String out = curSep;
    curSep = sep;
    return out;
  }
}

---
  String join (Iterable<String> iterable, String sep) {
    Separator separator = new Separator(sep);
    StringBuilder b = new StringBuilder();
    for (String s: iterable) {
      b.append(separator).append(s);
    }
    return b.toString();
  }
---
The exercise is to extend this idea to one for more
general handling of the first element.

Respectfully,
Eric Jablow