On 05/31/2011 05:36 AM, Cédric Beust ♔ wrote:
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Steven Herod <steven.he...@gmail.com <mailto:steven.he...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    This may also help out on the cross platform question:
    http://fxexperience.com/2011/05/is-javafx-2-0-cross-platform/

Yes, in the sense that the answer is "Not at the moment and we can't tell you when".

Obviously, we can't know if Oracle is being truthful when they say that JavaFX will be cross platform at some undetermined time in the future, but we can definitely draw some conclusions from the fact that they chose to release a Windows-only version first: this is the clear sign that the development process of JavaFX is not multi platform.
I disagree. This means that the QA process is not multi platform (they could have Mac and Linux versions, but not tested enough to be released). I recall that even JavaFX 1.0 handled by Sun first appeared for Windows only, if I'm not wrong.

Of course, if you want to recover a technology that failed in v1.0 perhaps is not a good move to release support for a single operating system _and_ not announcing when the support for Mac and Linux will come.

DISCLAIMER. I signed a NDA as an early accessor to the technology and I'm not using in this comment any information that I might have obtained in a confidential way from Oracle.

PS I don't want to get into any personal flame, but I was unable to understand the meaning of "brussels sprout" metaphor in this context.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."