Op woensdag 15 juni 2011 22:26:56 UTC+2 schreef Cédric Beust ♔ het volgende:

> But there is an important lesson in Java's emergence: it succeeded not
> because it added more power but because it liberated programmers from
> tediousness.

That's worth repeating. Put that way, java.next would have a decent language
syntax chunk to go along with it (as that's where a lot of 'java is tedious'
is directed).

>>  - Modularization (in all dimensions), built right into the language. A
>> mix of OSGi (runtime modularization) and ivy/maven (build-time
>> modularization), coupled with *NO* standard library (everything is a module
>> available on the web, including the core libraries)
>>

> I think that would be a mistake. Standard libraries are critical for the
> initial success of a language. The initial libraries of Java were
> ridiculously bad, but the fact that they were shipped with the JDK empowered
> developers to prototype stuff right away and adopt a common vocabulary and
> patterns.

I guess I wasn't clear. There are standard libraries, of course. Except they
are just 'libraries'. You can switch them out to something else, they aren't
elevated to the high pedestal of 'this is the core library'. Of course there
should be a java.lang-esque core which everyone agrees on, i.e. its useful
if 2 separate modules can share a collection object without having to jump
through hoops, but this can suffice with mostly interfaces. I *REALLY* want
to break this cycle of language development where a bunch of programmers go
through the hullabaloo of switching languages basically just because its a
convenient excuse to fix warts in API design.