On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Kevin Wright <kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's just depressing... While it may be impossible to mandate what's self
> taught, there really should be a good cross-section of paradigms covered in
> comp.sci courses for anyone who studies the subject formally.

Well, major caveat on this as it is just my observation.  I'm
welcoming numbers showing I'm wrong.  I just know that a lot of the
developers I work with shy away from even doing SQL.

> Scheme, Haskell, Prolog, Erlang, Smalltalk & C all have something important
> and unique to offer here. With those under your belt, you'd be well equipped
> to handle any other language currently in production use.

Also, I must confess that until recently I didn't have much experience
outside of Java.  I've started trying to read up on a lot of topics in
the past few years and really take stock in some of the things I was
exposed to earlier, but never really used.