On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:58 AM, steve <steve.mcjo...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I think the main problem is the sustained brain-drain Java is suffering for
> years now.

You'll probably be hard pressed to support this claim with data. A few
highly visible people are experimenting with other languages, but that's
what they do, and they are certainly not representative of the entire
community. And even if they tinker with other technologies, I'm pretty sure
that most of them are still using Java for their day job.

Every single dimension that you look at (language popularity, books, job
market, college programs, etc...) is showing that Java is stronger than
ever, and as I hinted in a previous message, if anything, I am seeing a
recrudescence of new Java programmers, coming to Java mostly for Android.

> If we're lucky those people leaving Java just went to Scala, if not there
> talent is lost completely for the JVM world.

Again, that's quite a generalization.

--
Cédric