On 25 August 2011 21:00, Steel City Phantom <scpha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> have really good programmers gotten so vain that good money isn't enough
> but the project must also be interesting?

Vain? No

Perhaps "jaded" would be a better choice of adjective

> [...]
>>
>> There are only about 294307030 different java frameworks to choose
>> from.  Hire smart people who can cite some good coding principles.
>> Anyone decent can learn your framework choices.
>>
>> BTW, if you are using struts 1, anyone worth their salt would avoid
>> the job like the plague :)
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Steel City Phantom <scpha...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I work out of Pittsburgh.  we have two world class universities about a
>> half
>> > hour down the road.  Carnegie Mellon University's computer science
>> > department is one of the best in the world, and University of Pittsburgh
>> > isn't shabby either.  so i have to ask, where are all the good java
>> > developers?
>> > we have been trying to staff out a project for 6 weeks now.  every
>> resume we
>> > get is from people with 4-5 years experience.  I do tech interviews on
>> them
>> > for the technologies we are using and its all the same, they have a
>> vague
>> > understanding of how to use the technologies (spring, hibernate, struts,
>> > nothing major) work, but for my needs, that puts them in the class of jr
>> > developer.  i need senior guys that have done this already, lived the
>> > learning curve, knows how to fix issues, knows how to squeeze every last
>> bit
>> > of functionality out of these technologies, and i can't find them.
>> > we are paying good market rates for these guys, so its not like we are
>> being
>> > cheap.  i refuse to believe that Google swallowed all the good java guys
>> > when they opened their development center here in Pittsburgh a few years
>> > ago.
>> > its so bad that i had one candidate that i interviewed a few weeks ago.
>>  he
>> > got irritated with me when i was drilling him on the technology.  his
>> > actually had the huevos to say to me "I have a masters degree from CMU
>> in
>> > computer science, i don't care what technology you are using, i can
>> figure
>> > it out and use it"  to which i replied "that may be true, but that makes
>> you
>> > a junior developer in my eyes.  as a senior developer, im not paying you
>> > figure it out, im paying you to step in and do it"  he had 4 years
>> > experience writing web pages for a marketing firm.  why the recruiter
>> even
>> > thought he would pass the test is still beyond me.
>> > where have all the good guys gone?  is a 9-10 year experienced very
>> seasoned
>> > java guy really demanding salaries north of 90K now or what?
>> >
>> > --
>> > You want it fast, cheap, or right.  Pick two!!
>> >
>> > --
>> >

>> --

> You want it fast, cheap, or right.  Pick two!!

Kevin Wright
mail: kevin.wri...@scalatechnology.com
gtalk / msn : kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com
quora: http://www.quora.com/Kevin-Wright
google+: http://gplus.to/thecoda
<kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com>
twitter: @thecoda
vibe / skype: kev.lee.wright
steam: kev_lee_wright

"My point today is that, if we wish to count lines of code, we should not
regard them as "lines produced" but as "lines spent": the current
conventional wisdom is so foolish as to book that count on the wrong side of
the ledger" ~ Dijkstra