On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Steel City Phantom <scpha...@gmail.com>wrote:

> have really good programmers gotten so vain that good money isn't enough
> but the project must also be interesting?

Vain? If there are options on the market that give both?!
Self- and market-aware.

Additionally, I do not agree with your Senior 'knows struts and spring'
definition - to me, you're needing a Struts and Spring expert.
Somebody who just gets programming will figure this out anyway.

I have a real pleasure to have 2 ex-Ruby devs in what is mostly a Java
project now. Their approach is really inspiring,
how many people will know how to strace a jvm to find out which file was
missing because the exception was crap?
For me this is a Senior Dev all the way, even though he's been doing Java
for the last 3 months. We review to kill
language quirks, but otherwise, it's a different level of living.