I just really 'lurk' here on this list.  But (assuming the article cited is
not a joke on everyone) I'd have to agree with the title that reuse gets an
F.  Out-of-the-box java has not gotten easier to re-use even with the
emphasis on 'programming by contract' and the use of interfaces.  Indeed,
in some ways it has gotten harder as language changes have been added.
Most new CS grads AFAICT _do_ have at least a passing familiarity with Java
but nothing at all on code re-use beyond knowing that it is a 'good thing'
at some some level.  Finally most books that teach intermediate or advanced
java give little more than lip service to code re-use.  I think generics
really were poorly done here, though I freely admit that I'm not sure that
'well done' generics would have made much of a difference.

My other 2cents on this: NIH and hero-based programming is _even worse_ in
.NET world and if the F for re-use in Java is a 50 out of 100, in C# it
would be much, much lower.  I'm using C# .NET every day at work and in the
realm of  re-use (or even intelligent code planning and design patterns)
the whole stack is pathetic.  Syntactic sugar in .NET is fantastic.  Down
dirty "plan to use patterns and re-use" - man it sucks.  And MVPs are
always pushing everyone to check out the latest capabilities of the
Collections, but they don't usually fix the problems with the previous
versions.  Just add more sugar (and slowing down the VM time to
de-reference).

So the primary competitor to Java is not better on that front.

I think that as VM-based programming is becoming more and more extensive
(with libraries built on libraries) we've moved far, far, FAR away from the
idea of program design in the small.  The effect has been that code is less
and less written to be re-used.  And I don't really see much talk of this
at all (compared to the early days of Java in 97-98 when re-use and
intelligent class design was part of every "you should use Java"
discussion).

Again, my 3 cents and part rant.  In main we've (AFAICT) given up on code
re-use.  Tooling makes it (perhaps) unnecessary to some people - what does
it matter that I have 13 similar classes since organizing isn't all that
hard in a nice tool.  We are a LONG way from looking at directories to
browse the source.  Re-use is HIGHLIGHT, CNTRL-C, CNTRL-V.  Bah.