> What makes a great language designer is not the ability to implement
>> complicated pieces of the compiler but the simple ability to say "No".

That's why I'm using Scala. :-)

I'd love to see an example where Scala's designer didn't say "no" in the
last half decade and which you think impacted the language negatively.

You can't ignore features in a language you don't like

What an double entendre, this makes my day. :-)

Add to the list of "Java language features not in Scala":

   - Special cased arrays (e. g. in for loops) in the language spec
   - Special syntax for defining, indexing and updating as well as fun
   syntactical variants like "int[] foo[] = ..."
   - Syntactic special cases for casts and instance-of checks
   - Class literals
   - A lot of different literal variants (like octal integer literals or
   floating point literals like 1.)
   - Bad integration of generics and arrays
   - Raw types
   - Forced use-site generics
   - Refinement types in the type system with no representation in source
   - Hardcoded implicit conversions for certain types

Different in Scala:

   - One, unified reflection API shared between runtime reflection,
   compile-time reflection and the compiler (instead of having two different,
   incompatible APIs like in Java, where one of them lacks an implementation,
   forcing users of those interfaces to re-implement compiler-logic.
   - Flexible backend which allows targeting different JVM versions while
   retaining the full feature set.
   - Two namespaces (types, terms) instead of four like in Java (types,
   packages, methods, fields)