On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Ricky Clarkson <ricky.clark...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Those are real things that real programmers benefit from.  I don't get all
> this nonsense about whether something is academic or not.  Ask instead
> whether it's correct, whether it's useful, what it needs to be useful if
> it's not.

I agree with the general sentiment but the academic slant of a language or
of a language designer has a very concrete impact on the direction of the
language.

Whenever you decide to add a complex feature to a language, you generate a
lot of material for papers that you can then submit to conferences. When
you don't have the inclination of publishing papers about your language,
you have much more freedom to refuse to add features (and one could argue
that such languages end up being leaner than academically slanted ones as a
consequence).

--
Cédric