On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 22:53:55 +0200, Simon Ochsenreither <simon.ochsenreit...@gmail.com> wrote:

Add to the list of "Java language features not in Scala":

   - Special cased arrays (e. g. in for loops) in the language spec
   - Special syntax for defining, indexing and updating as well as fun
   syntactical variants like "int[] foo[] = ..."
   - Syntactic special cases for casts and instance-of checks
   - Class literals
   - A lot of different literal variants (like octal integer literals or
   floating point literals like 1.)
   - Bad integration of generics and arrays
   - Raw types
   - Forced use-site generics
   - Refinement types in the type system with no representation in source
   - Hardcoded implicit conversions for certain types

I'm sorry, but I feel I should point out that this contributes to the academic/elite argument about Scala. While you're reasoning from the side of the language designer, and I could agree that Scala is much better designed than Java, most developers just don't care the design of the compiler, rather the usage of the language; and demonstrate that they can understand this usage (generics wilcards being probably the only thing that pushes over the edge). Funny variants such as arrays were "copied" from C - yes, they were a mess, but they were popular because so many people knew C and Sun demonstrated a good attitude in language marketing, which proved to be a winning strategy. An attitude the Scala community has failed to show so far.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect @ Tidalwave s.a.s.
"We make Java work. Everywhere."