On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 05:10:29 +0100, Mark Derricutt <m...@talios.com> wrote:

So... When looking toward Java 8, "catching up in some areas" would be a fair assessment?

Anyone have any thoughts on:

   http://java.dzone.com/articles/think-twice-using-java-8

and the linked:

   http://coopsoft.com/ar/Calamity2Article.html

Looks like parallel streams in Java8/ForkJoin are broken by design - at least with the streams API as they force you to use a common ForkJoinPool which defaults to a limited number of threads - for the entire JVM..... seems a little limiting....

Unless I'm missing something...

I didn't play much with streams so far, and I missed that post (I had serious troubles with my two Apple laptops in the past ten days and I have accumulated a large queue of posts to read...). But actually I was curious about why you can use the plain ForkJoin API by specifying an explicit ThreadFactory (I agree, it's an advisable thing to have a separate pool for each task) and this is not possible with parallel(). Is there an official word by the API designers? Is it just something that can be added with an overloaded method parallel(...) or is there a deeper design problem behind it?

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect @ Tidalwave s.a.s.
"We make Java work. Everywhere."