Hi Larry,

Did you, in fact, see the Calculator program in your start menu under
accessories?

If you did see it there, there should be no reason you can't create a desktop
icon for it on your desktop.

Judging by the description of what you pressed and the reaction you got from
Windows, you may not have pressed the applications key, and instead pressed a
secondary Windows key.

In some cases and some keyboards, instead of there being only three keys to the
right of the spacebar, there will be four keys.  Those keys are, in order from
left to right, an Alt key, a secondary Windows Logo key, which opens the start
menu, the applications key, which, visually, has a small rectangle with lines
criss-crossing it, so as to look like a menu, and lastly, the Control key.

Obviously, the one you want to press is the first one to the left of that right
Control key.

I have seen keyboards where the applications key is not present and only the
extra Windows key is present, in which case, I'm going to assume that there
must be another way of accessing that applications menu, possibly using the
right mouse button while in Jaws cursor mode.

As far as I know, this is the only way to access the applications menu without
the applications key.  I would be interested to know if there is another way I
don't know of, after all, the pursuit of knowledge is a never ending quest.

Anyway, let us know if this is what happened or not.

Victor