I temporarily lose speech often when accessing an SD card in my built-in card reader. Here's what happens.

When I insert my SD card into the card reader, most times I lose speech for about 20 seconds and each time I take some action the same thing happens. For example, I must wait about 20 seconds or so after inserting the card before I can arrow up and down to locate a folder. Once I get speech, I can arrow up and down fine, but as soon as I enter on a folder name to open the folder, I lose speech again for about 20 seconds. The same thing happens when I press the applications key to bring up the context menu. I must wait the 20 seconds or so before I can arrow through the menu.

I'm running JAWS 2018 on Windows 10 version 1703, although this same problem occurred on JAWS 18 on this computer. This only happens with SD cards and not absolutely every time, but most times. Accessing the local SSD, external USB drives and network drives all behave as they should.

I suspect this might be an issue with some setting in Windows 10, but I have no idea what setting or where to look for it. And perhaps it's something altogether different. I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeff