I have this same problem with JAWS, including JAWS 14. I notice it more when I am using IE or my antivirus is checking for updates, as well as opening PDF documents, which it has always done.

Vicki

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave...Oregonian" <dgcarl...@sbcglobal.net>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:05 AM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Temporary loss of speech

I'm more suspicious that it's just JAWS. Ever since JAWS 17, there has been
a "pause" effect most often occurring when opening a PDF document, and
opening Outlook. I also noticed it pausing when launching ResearchIt, or the
JAWS find on a web page. Always around 15 to 20 seconds of silence before
speech returns. Still happens with JAWS 2018, and I'm unhappy to hear that
it seems to also happen with your Windows 10. I'm still running Windows 7
32-bit on a Dell Latitude. This never happened with JAWS 16 or earlier.

Dave

----- Original Message ----- From: "Audiobookfan" <listening...@gmail.com>