Ok, do as below:
copy the next line to notepad:

chkdsk /f X:
replace the "X" in  the line, with the external drive letter,
do not delete the colon mark at end of line, make sure no spaces after
the colon mark.
select and copy the line again
open the CMD  command again from the run box,
with the CMD terminal interface press alt+spacebar,
and arrow up to "edit submenu"
open it and find the "paste" and hit inter,
hit inter again.
it should work this time, as long as you've put in the right drive letter.

On 12/8/17, jyandt.mar...@comcast.net <jyandt.mar...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I tried your suggestions, putting the information as you have it with the
> spaces. I got an invalid path. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

>>> at
>>> a
>>> loss. Can you post the exact message you are getting when you try to