I am surprised you believe that there are no laws regarding software
accessibility. I am not  sure what jurisdiction you are living in but this
is definitely not true for the UK and I was given to understand when I
attended  a legal conference  a few months back that there were even
stricter law in the USA.

Just for info I refer you to the UK Disability Discrimination Act 1995 Part
3 Goods and Services.  In this section providers are expected to make
"reasonable adjustment" to ensure access. This includes software.   Under
2006 Disability Discrimination Act public authorities are under a positive
duty to ensure accessible goods and services even where this means a
disabled person ends up being  treated more favourably. Again software comes
within this remit.

The reality unfortunately is that the application of this law can only be
enforced by an application to a County Court and most of us do not have the
time and energy to do this. Many companies including software providers
manage to flout their legal responsibilities by banking on a lack of
willingness to summon them to Court. I personally believe that the blind
organisations in the UK should do much more to make companies comply with
the law. if  tough for most people to embark on a court summons.

The legal conference in London I attended in December 2007 had several blind
jurists talking about the "scandal" of software providers flouting the law
in the provision of their products. . There was much talk of starting
litigation   against companies like Apple but I have not heard of anything
yet.  Still it might be in the pipeline.

David Griffith