Software   is a product.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of tim
Sent: Saturday, 03 May 2008 15:48
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] JAWS and Itune

Software and products are two different things.
As far as software goes. it only has to be accessible if it has any dealings
with the government. As in all software used or given out by the government
has to be accessible.
if they have no dealings with the government as in most. only the programs
aware of accessibility will you find them accessible. it don't take much to
make them accessible, but its not a standard practise for programmers to use
assessable tools.
if you want a good description of this accessibility just look at our screen
readers. if the software was all accessible. there wouldn't be a need for
scripts. And you can't say your country does it any better, because most of
the software is from the USA, and you say below that companies there don't.
so it looks like your laws don't do any more then ours do for accessibility
expect pass the buck. They say the software has to be accessible and when
its not they leave the fight up to the user?
At 07:51 PM 5/2/2008, you wrote:
>I am surprised you believe that there are no laws regarding software
>accessibility. I am not  sure what jurisdiction you are living in but
>this is definitely not true for the UK and I was given to understand
>when I attended  a legal conference  a few months back that there were
>even stricter law in the USA.
>
>Just for info I refer you to the UK Disability Discrimination Act 1995
>Part
>3 Goods and Services.  In this section providers are expected to make
>"reasonable adjustment" to ensure access. This includes software.   Under
>2006 Disability Discrimination Act public authorities are under a
>positive duty to ensure accessible goods and services even where this
>means a disabled person ends up being  treated more favourably. Again
>software comes within this remit.
>

>The reality unfortunately is that the application of this law can only
>be enforced by an application to a County Court and most of us do not
>have the time and energy to do this. Many companies including software
>providers manage to flout their legal responsibilities by banking on a
>lack of willingness to summon them to Court. I personally believe that
>the blind organisations in the UK should do much more to make companies
>comply with the law. if  tough for most people to embark on a court
summons.

>The legal conference in London I attended in December 2007 had several
>blind jurists talking about the "scandal" of software providers
>flouting the law in the provision of their products. . There was much talk
of starting
>litigation   against companies like Apple but I have not heard of anything
>yet.  Still it might be in the pipeline.
>
>David Griffith

body of a blank message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]