I tried the system access. It seems to be working exactly the same as jaws when I am browsing the itunes store. It won't let me mouseover a song, so I don't know how you're supposed to be previewing it. It is probably me it just seems that the itunes is workign the same as it was in jaws. It's not reading link link link over and over towards the beginning of the page, but other then that it's about the same. Maybe i'm doing or have something set wrong. Also, I know this is unjaws related, but where'd the put the free on itunes page?
thanks,
sarah A.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Blackwell, Clifford" <cblackw...@cityofmadison.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] iTunes 9.0 and JAWS

Prio to the development of VoiceOver, Apple took no steps towards making their computers accessible. Rather, they relied on third party developers to write programs for accessibility. This is similar to how Microsoft has interfaced with screen reader developers. However, Microsoft and companies like Freedom Scientific and GW Micro have tended to work more closely together than Apple and the previous developers of screen readers for Apple computers.

When the last of these third party developers announced that it would no longer be developing or upgrading its screen reading program, Apple needed to address the void that would be created. It needed to do so, because of increasing criticism of its hands off policy and because it needed to have its products accessible to meet contracting requirements for many governemental entities. At least in part, that is why Apple undertook development of VoiceOver.

Before the development of VoiceOver, Apple wanted to attract those who used Windows to its Ipod products. That is why it developed both a Mac version and eventually a Windows version. Again there were many motives, but much had to do with the economics of the music industry.

By reverting to form, in this instance, I suggest that with respect othe Windows version of Itunes, apple is seeking to force the screen reader developers to play ball their way rather than building a program/site that conforms readily to Windows standard controls and structures. Why they are doing this, I don't have a clue.

I think that if you'd like to continue this discussion, we've reached the point where it should go off list

I thank the moderators indulgence to this point.