From: jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf Of Brian Lee
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:40 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Problem with Avast!!!

Hi Jo,

Avast has about four services that start with your computer system.  You can
see if they are still listed in your services and if so then disable them.

1.  Press Windows key with R to bring up the run dialog box.
2.  Type in "services.msc" without the quotes and press enter key.  Wait a
few seconds for the list of services to appear.  When they are in view then
you will be in the tree view of local services.  If that doesn't bring up
the list of services then you might need to type in CMD and press enter at
the run prompt and then when you get a command prompt type in services.msc
and press enter key.
3.  Use tab key to move into your list of services.
4.  use down arrow until you find an Avast service.  Services are listed
alphabetically.
5.  When you find an Avast service then use application key and arrow up to
the properties choice and press enter key.
6.  Use tab key to the startup type combo box and use down arrow to the
disable choice.  Tab to an apply button if present or the OK button and
press enter key.
7.  When back in the list of services use down arrow and perform the same
actions on any services that start with the Avast name.

You might also want to check the run areas of your registry.  If you work in
the registry be very careful not to make any other changes as there is no
opportunity to save or undo changes you make.

1.  Bring up the run dialog box by using Windows key with R.
2.  Type in regedit and press enter key.
3.  You should be in a tree view of the registry hierarchy.  If you are in a
list view then use shift tab to move into the tree view.  In the hierarchy
you open a level by using right arrow key and close a level by using left
arrow key.  Use left arrow in the tree structure until you hear "my computer
open."
4.  Use down arrow to HKEY_CurrentUser and use right arrow to open the
level.
5.  Press S or S O until you find the software choice and right arrow to
open the level.
6.  Press M or M I to move to Microsoft and open the level.
7.  Press W or W I until you get to the Windows choice and use right arrow
key to open the level.
    8.  Press C to move to the current version choice and open the level.
9.  Press the letters R U until you find the "Run" choice and then use tab
to the list view.
10.  Use up or down arrow keys to find any references to Avast and delete
them using the delete key and answering confirmation prompts.
11.  Use shift+tab back to the tree structure and arrow down to the next
choice that starts with "run."
12.  use tab into the list and check for any Avast entries.  Delete them if
you find them.
13.  Continue to move between the tree and list views using tab and
shift+tab keys.  Check the list view for any Avast entries for any entries
in the tree structure that start with the word "run" including RunOnce, Run
Services, etc.
14.  Move back in the tree view using left arrow key until "my computer
open" is found.
15.  Use down arrow key to HKEY_Local Machine and open it.
16.  Follow the same steps as you did for the current user hive, deleting
any references to Avast in the run boxes.

If you don't feel comfortable doing any of those things then you can contact
me and I'll try to work with you on it.

Also delete the Alwil software folder in program files, (that is a l w I l).

CCleaner also has a uninstall tool that might help.  In the CCleaner window
use tab to the tools button and press spacebar or enter key.  Use tab to the
uninstall button and press spacebar.  Use tab to the list of programs and
down arrow to Avast.  Tab to the uninstaller button and press spacebar.
Follow prompts.

In CCleaner you can also open tools as mentioned above and use the start up
button to show a list of startup processes.  Tab to the list after using
start up button.  Each entry is marked as "yes" or "no" meaning whether or
not they should start with Windows.  Use down arrow through the list to find
any Avast choices.  If you find one then tab to the delete button and use
it.

Again, if you need any help with these steps then contact me.

Take care.

Brian Lee
brianl...@charter.net