Hi,

I'm not clear on where you are having trouble.  When a set of cells are
merged, JAWS will read their contents just as it does if the info is in a
single cell.  People usually merge cells for visual layout, or to help deal
with large amounts of information that other wise could not be read if put
into a single cell the size of that cell would have to be quite large.

Off of the top of my head, I'm not coming up with a reason why someone might
merge cells vertically as in the example you just gave.  But here is an
example of how someone might use cells merged horizontally.

In the first row cells A1 thru X1 are merged and contain the text "Monthly
expense data for 2 years". This is the title for the entire set of data and
it is centered within this very long cell.
In the next row cells A2 thru L2 are merged and read "2008", and next to it
cells M2 thru X2 are merged and read "2009".
In the next row cells A3 thru L3 each contain the name of each month for
2008, Jan Feb Mar...Dec, and cells M3 thru X2 again contain the names of the
months for the year 2009.
All of the cells in the rows below the names of the months contain the data.

Now to make this data a bit easier to be read by a screen reader user, I
would eliminate row 2 and change the information in row 3 to read, Jan 2008,
Feb 2008, Mar 2008...Jan 2009, Feb 2009, Mar 2009..., etc.

I hope this make sense and you find it helpful.

Annette