Hello Bill,

Sometimes people will merge cells in a column to keep large sections of text
together instead of increasing row height.  JAWS will read a merged range of
cells the same way it does a single cell and will tell you the range.  In
your example you might have a lot of information to listen to at once.  When
you merge information in Excel 2007, you are placing data with the same data
value in a range of cells instead of into one.  If you have information
already in several cells and try to merge them then Excel will let you know
that there are cells with different data values trying to be merged and it
will keep only the data in the top left cell of the range.  Usually merging
is done for such things as long strings of text like a title or a company
name.

You can still use F2 to go into edit mode and read the text like you would
in a word processor.  Using up and down arrow keys will move from line to
line within the merged range, pressing CTRL+home will go to the beginning,
etc.  When in edit mode in Excel the insert mode is on so you can add words
between others, you can select and delete a specific amount of text in the
range, and so forth.  Your reading, navigating and editing commands should
all work for you if you go into edit mode by using function key 2.  If you
want to add a new line in the cell then you need to use Alt+enter key to
force the line break.  If you use enter key then you will be brought out of
edit mode.

If you want to remove the merge and work with single cells then move focus
into the merged range of cells and use CTRL+1 to bring up the format dialog.
If the page of the dialog that appears is not the alignment page then use
CTRL+tab until  the alignment page tab is active.  Use tab key to move
across the controls in the alignment page until you get to a checkbox that
determines whether or not merging is to be used.  If the "merge cells"
checkbox is checked then use a spacebar to remove the checkmark and tab to
the OK button and press enter key.

Take care.

Brian Lee
brianl...@charter.net