To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:48 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Excel problems with Jaws

Hi Shari,

I don't know what version of Excel or JAWS you are using but I thought I
would mention a couple things for your consideration.

If you move focus to a cell or merged cells you can press function key 2 to go into edit mode. Parts of cells that don't show on the screen because of
problems like row height and column widths can still be read in edit mode.
You can use regular document type navigational commands when in edit mode.

I know that some people have had trouble with the auto row height feature in Excel 2007. If a cell's wrapping function is turned on then the contents of
the cell should wrap according to column width and be shown on the screen.
However, I know there are some people having trouble with the wrapping
function and the auto setting of row height. I haven't had the problem but
it seems that many people have had to increase row height to read all the
contents of a cell even when wrapping and auto row height are set.  If you
check a row's height in Excel 2007 I believe the default setting is 15
characters.  Again, auto row height should cause the cell to expand as
needed and the wrapping function should cause the text to be read correctly on the screen, but sometimes a person needs to manually increase row height
considerably.  However, going into edit mode would allow you to read the
full content of the cell even though it is not showing on the screen.

Another thing you might consider is copying the range of cells and pasting
them into a Word document.  Word will create a table that you can use your
arrow keys in between lines in a cell.  After pasting into Word the ribbon
in Word 2007 will have choices for such things as appending to a table.
However, I think that just pasting will create a table that you might be
able to navigate in better.

I hope you get it working for you.

Take care.

Brian Lee