Thanks so much!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scorpio" <scorpio...@gmail.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2013 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Disabling NVDA

Hi Rich,

there are various ways to accomplish this task.

The temporary way is to bring up the application manager using control+shift+escape, ensure that you are in the processes tab by using control+tab to move through the tabs, tab to the list of processes currently running on your computer, and, press the letter N to move directly to NVDA. The good thing is that Windows 7 offers a simple view of your processes, so you'll know exactly what they are.

NVDA is labeled as NVDA, so, when you land on it, press alt+E to stop the process. A dialog box will ask you to confirm your descision, so simply press enter on the yes button, and the process will shut down.

In any case, whether it's NVDA or Narrator, the press of the N key will identify the culprit.

One thing you should beware of is that you end the process on the correct NVDA. This may be trivial to you, but I'll sometimes get mistaken when my screen reader reads out NVDA and NVDIA, as my speech for functionality is quite high, so I tend to overlook small things like the I inserted just before the A in NVDA.

This process you should leave alone, as this is your graphics card process, and your computer, and possibly Jaws may need it to run.

In any case, if it is NVDA, make sure that your screen reader actually says NVDA, and not NVDIA.

Once it's shut down, press your Windows key+R to bring up the run dialog box, and type the word msconfig in the edit field and press enter.

In the resulting dialog box, press control+tab to go to the services tab.

Once there, tab to the list of programs, though this may not be necessary as your screen reader should place you directly on the services tab.

Once there, arrow through the services looking for the application, NVDA or Narrator and uncheck the box accompanying it. Again, make sure you uncheck the box for NVDA and not NVDIA.

Once this is done, press control+tab again to go to the start-up tab, and see if you find the program in that tab as well. You shouldn't, but better safe than sorry. If you do find it there, simply uncheck the box that corresponds to it and tab to the apply key. Press the spacebar, then shift+tab to the ok button and press the spacebar once more.

At this point, you may or may not be presented with a dialog box asking you to re-start your computer. Regardless of whether you are presented with one or not, re-start your computer to make sure the change took effect.

Once your computer comes back up, you'll be presented with a dialog box letting you know that you're currently running your computer in selective start-up mode, simply tab to the checkbox that says, don't show me this dialog box, or start the configuration manager when I boot into Windows, check this box, than tab to the ok button and press the spacebar to make it go away.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Scorpio