After it patently didn't work, I tried again. This time, I met with almost instant success.

-----Original Message----- From: Flor Lynch
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2015 2:43 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Does enhanced convenient OCR do a good job onanPDFimage?

I've downbloaded the Palms Gourmet Deli PDF linked to by Freedom Scientific
(as an example of an image document that is not ordinarily readable by JAWS)
and, forty-five minutes later and counting, I'm still waiting for the OCR
results. (Continually, when I check, I get, "OCR in progress. Please wait
for additional content." (I should say that I'm using JAWS17 with Adobe
Readder XI DC edition.)