I'm trying to test this with JAWS 18, Windows 10 and Word 2016.

I can edit a footer by typing Alt+N, O, E. Alternatively, I can work my way
through the Insert tab of the ribbon to find this command (Insert -> Footer ->
Edit Footer).

At this point (having invoked the above command), I'm in a footer field into
which I can type text or edit existing text. While editing the footer, there
are commands in the ribbon to insert the time and date, document information,
etc.

JAWS is reading everything as expected.

Are your steps different from mine? If not, this might have been fixed in JAWS
18 or in a Microsoft Word update. I'm running Word 2016 Pro Plus as downloaded
from Office365, so it's always kept up to date.