Hello,

Here is some additional information on creating footers.  I am using Word 2013
but I don't think the steps vary much from 2016.

Instead of using the dialog box you might want to use the options in the header
and footer group of the insert menu and under the design tab which is added as
a tab to the right end of the ribbon after a footer is chosen.  To enter a
built-in footer you can use CTRL with right arrow key across the lower part of
the ribbon under the insert tab until you get to the header and footer group.
Using Word 2013, this is done seven times.  Tab to the footer menu item and
press enter.  Alternatively, use Alt followed by N followed by O.  The first
item is a blank footer and the second built-in footer type is a footer with
three areas.  If you pick the second one you can enter the footer text in the
first area and the page number in the third and use different alignment for the
text and page number if you want.  If you choose the first built-in footer type
you can type the text using nonbreaking spaces between all the words
(CTRL+Shift+Spacebar) and then leave a space before entering the page number.
Immediately after inserting the page number use CTRL with J followed by shift
key and enter.  This will cause the text to be left aligned and the page number
to be right aligned.  If you want to insert a page number using a page field
use Alt with Shift and P.  Otherwise, you can insert it from the page numbers
item under the design tab of the ribbon.  You will find the “Link to previous”,
“different first page” and other often used options under the design tab.  It
is a good idea to use section breaks and then insert the blank footer for the
new section, uncheck the “link to previous” checkbox under the design tab of
the header and footer tools which is added to the right end of the ribbon as a
contextual tab, and then type the footer information.  To insert a Next page
section break press Alt followed by P followed by B followed by N.  Go To
Footer is a command that can be added to the quick access toolbar or to a
customized ribbon group, which might be helpful if you are frequently working
with footers.  Remember that using Alt with delete will let you know the
vertical position of the cursor so you can verify you are working in a footer
area.  The escape key should move focus from the footer area back into the main
document pane.

Take care.

            Brian Lee
brianl...@charter.net