Hi Jim,

I remember when we ported to Jbase from Universe in 1998 that we had to fix a ton of things UV let us get away with, but Jbase didn't. It was a royal pain and a very stressful time, but I really liked that Jbase forced us to do things "right".

Regards,
Charlie Noah

On 08-15-2011 3:31 PM, Jim Idle wrote:
Nice idea, but I seem to remember that in fact I/we had to put this back in
specifically for T24. All the things you mention, and anything that you
could mention are unfortunately relied upon implicitly by almost all
software. If I had a dollar for all the Universe bugs we had to recreate so
that we could port things, then there would be a run on dollar bills.

The system is what it is, and there is no changing it. This is not the jBASE
guys saying this, this is all the users.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: jbase@googlegroups.com [mailto:jbase@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Pawel (privately)
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 12:56 PM
To: jbase@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: RE: jbase problems show-items-locks

Hi,

I hope that I will finally see an (environment variable?) option in
jBASE, which will cause jBASE to abort when empty id is used in
database operation. All cases with an empty id I have met so far were
caused by software bugs. Moreover they were relatively hard to track  -
usually it was complex flow to recreate problem. I do not see any
reason in keeping 'empty id functionality' available for T24.
It would be nice if jBASE team could go forward and throw away some
unnecessary, 'old days' things :)

Another issue that can be caused by buggy software is to put
field/value/subvalue markers. Some jBASE commands will be later
confused. jBASE gurus: throw these possibilities away please!

Kind regards
Pawel

Dnia 15-08-2011 o godz. 20:29 Jim Idle napisaƂ(a):
An empty record key is just a key without any characters. It is
somewhat pointless, but must be supported as people inventing their
own 'security'
used it a lot in the old days of Pick.

Jim