Why do you think the rowid won't be immediately available?

-----Original Message-----
From: K.V. Vinay Menon
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 6/9/01 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: [JBoss-dev] Fast Updates Based on Row ID

Georg, Dan

Alright. First of all do we really want to modify the insert sql to
return
the oracle rowid and hence end up putting oracle specific code. Believe
the
only issue we have is that given the fact that updates will be based on
the
row id and immediately after inserts the rowid would still be null we
might
end up with a few problems. Now, that is where I think we need to make
the
documentation work. If a person wishes to use rowid based updates etc
then
it must be clearly stated that the create method be defined in a
container
transaction that has value 'RequiresNew'. That way, the insert would be
committed immediately and even if the person did an update after the
insert
it would basically have the rowid value updated. I am just trying to
avoid
putting in code that is specific to any dbms - just require that a dbms
provide stable rowids.  Do you see a problem with this?

My views. Your thoughts?

Vinay