|You should try this on some other OSes.  I believe that the sun vm on linux
|uses a one-to-one mode (one java thread to one native thread).  This model
|has problems with thread contension becase all thread contension
|is resolved
|in the kernel which has to pass through the native layer.  Other OSes have

I will try that on windows 2000, I will commit the code soon,

|I think the important question is "Why do we have a passivation
|cache?"  Why
|did we add it and is the circumstances that led us to add it still
|valid.  I
|often find optimiztions in my client's code for situations that simply are
|not a problem any more.  Optimizations make code more difficult to read and
|therefore maintian.  (By the way, we could make a arument along
|the lines of
|scaleability vs. performance of a single instance)
|
|I am all for making the code as simple a possible,

as I said the simpler design is with "nopassivation" stuff in it.  I believe
with gig ram machines floating around you can carefully design your
deployment so that you will never need passivation.

I will try to keep it in but seriously need to revisit that code,

I will take a couple of days of rabbit hole (paid time) to try and
streamline it, it is key to the scalability and speed of execution

On the other hand it seems to be pretty robust, I can't say I have BROKEN it
;-)

which is good news

marcf

|-dain