Are we sure that the datasource name in jbosscmp-jdbc.xml is even being
checked properly?

I gave my config another look and it seems correct. Here are is the console
log output:

[11:43:51,571,AutoDeployer] Auto deploy of
file:/Users/hunter/Desktop/jboss-3.0.0alpha/deploy/postgresqldb-default-serv
ice.xml
[11:43:51,602,Default] Libraries adding URLClassLoader 1240345370 key URL
file:/Users/hunter/Desktop/jboss-3.0.0alpha/lib/ext/postgresql.jar
[11:43:51,647,ServiceCreator] About to create the
beanJBOSS-SYSTEM:service=ConnectionFactoryLoader,name=Groundswell
[11:43:51,653,ServiceCreator] Created the
beanJBOSS-SYSTEM:service=ConnectionFactoryLoader,name=Groundswell

And the file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!-- =====================================================================
-->
<!--
-->
<!--  JBoss Server Configuration
-->
<server>
  <classpath archives="
     postgresql.jar"/>

  <!-- ====================================================================
-->
  <!-- JDBC - Initialize the databases
-->
  <!-- to ConnectionFactoryLoader
-->
  <!-- ====================================================================
-->

  <mbean code="org.jboss.resource.ConnectionFactoryLoader"
     name="JBOSS-SYSTEM:service=ConnectionFactoryLoader,name=Groundswell">
    <attribute
name="ManagedConnectionFactoryProperties">ConnectionURL=jdbc:postgresql://lo
calhost/groundswell
  DriverClass=org.postgresql.Driver
  UserName=postgres
  Password=""</attribute>
    <attribute name="JndiName">Groundswell</attribute>
    <attribute
name="TransactionManagerName">java:/TransactionManager</attribute>

    <!--Anonymous mbean-ref to database being started -->
    <mbean-ref>JBOSS-SYSTEM:service=PostgreSQL</mbean-ref>

    <mbean-ref
name="ResourceAdapterName">JCA:service=RARDeployment,name=Minerva JDBC
LocalTransaction ResourceAdapter</mbean-ref>
    <mbean-ref
name="ConnectionManagerFactoryLoaderName">JCA:service=ConnectionManagerFacto
ryLoader,name=MinervaSharedLocalCMFactory</mbean-ref>
    <attribute name="ConnectionManagerProperties">#
      #Wed Aug 15 16:17:29 EDT 2001
      MinSize=0
      MaxSize=10
      BlockingTimeoutMillis=5000
      IdleTimeoutMinutes=30
      CleanupIntervalMinutes=10
      MaxIdleTimeoutPercent=1.0
    </attribute>
    <attribute name="PrincipalMappingClass">
      org.jboss.resource.security.ManyToOnePrincipalMapping
   </attribute>
    <attribute
name="PrincipalMappingProperties">UserName=postgres</attribute>
  </mbean>
</server>