On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 15:53, marc fleury wrote:
> I seriously doubt you are a developer of anything kid...

I usually wouldn't credit this kind of bait with a response, but since I
am considering doing business with your organization I suppose that it
is worth exploring. Adam Heath is one of my employees. In addition to a
fairly comprehensive knowledge of Java, C, Perl and every Shell variant
I've ever seen he also has a fairly solid design sense.

I have asked Adam to Debianize the JBoss system. We use Debian fairly
exclusively for our production environment both for its usability and
its alignment with our philosophical perspective. I'm quite sure that
Debian users at large will find Adam's debs handy.

While we are discussing being for real I must say that the way you
conduct yourself raises serious issues for me. I have been examining
your partner program and have been trying to decide what is going on
with this JBoss critter you are all cooking up. The code is undeniably
good, but I'm somewhat unclear about the arrangements. There seem to be
a lot of possibilities:

1. JBoss, the Open Source project.
2. JBoss, the training organization.
3. JBoss, the book publisher.
4. JBoss, the marketing organization.
5. JBoss, the loud Frenchman who loves to flame people.

I'm very interested in being involved with #1 but I don't know how much
I need or want to be involved in #2, #3, #4 or #5. That is what I'm in
the process of figuring out and it doesn't help that #5 insists on
dismissing issues I consider important and belittling my employees.

Is the JBoss group a non-profit, not-for-profit? Should I regard it as
an Open Source project or a competitor? As I look into committing more
time and money to the JBoss project I am wondering if I am helping Marc
build a consulting company.

I'm looking for something like the Apache project. A group that produces
a mutually useful infrastructure without disproportionally rewarding one
person in particular. I don't know how many of you have similar
questions or issues and I'm happy to shut up and just use the code.

For those that are interested here are a few facts about our
organization:

- We are a little 20 man shop in Dallas, Texas that has been around for
about ten years.
- We routinely execute contracts for Fortune 500 companies.
- We are the longest continuous commercial sponsor of the Debian
project.
- Our employees include the primary architect of the GCJ Java compiler,
who is also on the GCC steering committee.