On 2002.01.03 18:44:45 -0500 Jason Dillon wrote:
> Yes there are lots of card coded references between components... which
> was part of why this was harder than I had expected.
>
> We should try to move all of those references to configurable links.
>
> That said, I don't really have a good plan of attack to change this,
> though I think this work sets that up.

I'm sure I'm being naive, but why can't you add a depends attribute/object
name valued property for each one?  I would think finding them all would be
the hard part.

> I was trying to get the system to a state where it might be possible to
> registered two separate JBoss instances bound to separate JMX domains on
> one JVM.  This might be useful for embedding (which the Server* changes
> were aimed at), but is also a useful way to find all of the places where
> we are not as pluggable and adaptable as we should be.

I like that.

> It is too bad that JMX does not provide a better was to handle domain
> names, such as a scoped namespace and such.  Which would be to say that
> if a component is registered under domain x.y then sub-components
> created by it using :XXX=YYY would default to using x.y:XXX=YYY
>
> I think that this might be possible with the current JMX spec, but we
> would have to dramatically revise how we use ObjectName and how
> components get there names to make that happen.
>
> I don't think that the actual component has any business providing the
> name which it will be bound under, rather the code which registers it
> should decide that.

Aren't the hard-coded names for the mbean itself only used if no name is
provided when the mbean is created? Does the spec require such names? I'd
be pretty happy just putting them in as a comment/suggestion if they aren't
spec-required.

How about instead of using the domain-name part of the object name just
adding another attribute to it--

jboss.system:name=aaa,service=bbb,namespace=ccc

I've had in the back of my mind for a while using an "id=nnn" attribute
like this for multiple simultaneous versions of the same mbean for use in
really-hot-redeploy (no service interruption)

> Anyways, my thoughts on this issue haven't settled down yet, so any
> insight would be helpful.

anyway, I'm glad someone is taking a look at this.

david jencks