> Does anyone object to my committing this?

If its a bunch of changes we might need to rollback tag it with
Rel_3_0_0_5.

> Note that Hiram's protocol handler works by unpacking things into temp
> files (in the system temp dir).  However, it's all hidden, and presumably
> will avoid the security /permissions concerns.

The question here is will it work with the standard codebase syntax. What
is the most nested url we allow for an ejb-jar and war? sar/ear/ejb?
I'm working on security manager permission tests and I can add tests of
the njar url codebase usage in permissions.

> I'll also implement Scott's suggestion of removing the random numbers and
> including the entire path of the original url.  (This is not as unique as
> numbers, but it is unlikely anyone will deploy 2 packages with the same
> url.getFile() value.)
>
> I'm also going to have another try at installing native libraries.  Any
> ideas about where they should be unpacked to?

A 'native' directory under the deployment package directory makes sense
to me.