On 2002.03.02 04:41:37 -0500 Jason Dillon wrote:
> Why do we attempt to install an MBean before its dependencies have been
> met?  Looks like install hapens before create, and create is where
> depends logic begins.  It seems like a better choice would be to check
> for depends before installing, or rather before attempting to
> instantiate the mbean object, as it might not have all of the required
> classes loaded.
>
> I had to put explict archive refs back in jboss-service.xml to test
> netboot and ran into this problem... where hsqldb-default-service.xml
> depends on beans in jbosscx.sar.  Since this is the only place where
> org.jboss.resource.* classes are, anything that references them will
> need to load after it does.

In general, that won't help.  It happens in this case that jbosscx.sar
defines an mbean that DefaultDS needs, so deployment would wait, but if put
the ConnectionFactoryLoader class somewhere else there'd be no way to look
for it using depends.  Marc wanted to use the MBeanClassLoader to keep
track of class dependencies and wait if a class was not found when you
tried to "install" it.  I'm not sure how far he got with this.

Looking for depends elements before the mbean is available also means you
either have to parse the xml twice or parse it into a holding structure and
then later transfer it to the mbean itself.  I guess the latter might be
possible using xmbean interceptors, but I'm not convinced it will buy us
anything.

david jencks