It is not a bad idea. Why was it different? We thought it was easier for a
developer to say <clustered>True</clustered> in jboss.xml than to change a
container configuration.

>From the developer standpoint, he wants his bean to be clustered and he
really doesn't care if it requires a new container configuration or not.
Now, if he wants to be clustered AND to change the container configuration,
he needs to change the container configuration aswell (which is then
logical). This is already possible.

Are you changes just a way to globally override what's already at the bean
level (I haven't seen your changes in CVS-commit ML)? And what about the
cluster-config tag in jboss.xml?