Jeremy,

Specific comments are inline...

On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 11:33 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

Like Matt, I have concerns about modifying the files in the deployment as well. I think his concerns about division of roles are valid - I'd go further and say this needs to be able to handle a split between 'deployer' and 'operator/sys admin' as well (where e.g. deployer defines which database to use, the sys admin defines the connection pool size).
Every place has a different distinction between what a developer and an admin does. At some places the developers defines the entire db pool, at some the developer really only specifiec the pool name, and there are places in between the two.

I am not making the claim that this is the solution for everyone, especially developers. I am saying that the average admin wants this feature.

There are also circumstances where the SAR will be unmodifyable - e.g. if it is set read-only on the OS or if it is loaded from an http: URL.
If a attribute is not persistable, then we don't persist it. We should modify the jmx-console to notify the user if an attribute is persistent or not.

One possibility might be to store the local changes as a transform applied against the original file e.g. an XSLT.
There are very few developers that understand XSLT, I would guess even less admins.

This also has the advantage that local changes don't get lost when a new version is received from development. Also the same file can be rolled dev->test->stage->prod without needing to modify the deployment descriptor each time (one of the biggest compaints I've had from sys admins).
The admins I spoke with were willing to accept this. It is a common problem. When I give them the option of looking in multiple places, or looking in some database, or dealing with lost config options across upgades, they all chose the last. I personally would have gone for the second option, but I'm not an admin.

-dain