Good for you that you agree. I'm unwilling to do the work to

a) write yet another new GUI framework
b) port all existing functionality to new framework

Personally, I'd rather focus on writing new management functionality with the current web-console than rewriting to a new GUI framework and being stuck in DHTML hell. Unless a new recruit comes along, the current recruits have other things to worry about.

What is so wrong with the current implementation?

Bill

Ivelin Ivanov wrote:

I agree with Thomas. Ws use the same technique. The
XML routines in JS are different for IE and NS, but
it's relatively simple code. The logic is in the back
end. The client just refreshes the tree nodes.

You can pop-up on righ-click with DHTML.

Ivelin

--- Bill Burke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

yes, but web console has pop-menus on tree control.

Thomas Diesler wrote:

Sacha / Bill,

at my old company I implemented a HTML tree

control that gets it's input

from XML. The idea is, that the server assembles

the XML data, either of

the whole tree or parts of it and the tree control

transforms it into

HTML. The server does not need to know about the

state of the expanded

nodes / current node in the user session.

Images and node names are of course freely

configurable at runtime.

The server receives messages when the user clicks

on the tree nodes or

expands/collapses a level. HTML is still the least

common denominator as

far as browsers go.

Check it out at:

http://www.softcon-itec.de/itec-site/products/sctree.html

cheers -Thomas

PS: I never liked the idea of using an applet