What I'm saying is under jdk1.4 the only way to override the jdk
embedded xalan with a different version is to drop it in lib/endorsed or
use a scoped deployment.

Putting it in server/xxx/lib or server/xxx/deploy won't work, even if
specifying the javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory property since
setting it to org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformFactoryImpl makes no
difference, it will just load the jdk provided xalan version because the
class names collide.

Now, I had the feeling that we *needed* a xalan.jar version newer than
the one provided with jdk1.4, in which case, what other way we would
have to override the jdk version? The rules you mention would work, if
the overriding xalan version used different class names!

I just removed lib/endorsed/xalan.jar and the server seems to boot
happily. If we *do not need* a newer version, I guess we can just remove
it, and let the user drop its own lib/endorsed/xalan.jar version, if
necessary.