> So the problem is lack of encapsulation of the essentially
> global org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformFactoryImpl name
> due to the proliferation of the xalan distribution. One
> should be able to work around this by introducing a
> org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformFactoryImpl2 that loaded
> the org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformFactoryImpl visible
> via the thread context class loader.

The org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformFactoryImpl visible through the
TCL, for a non-scoped deployment, wouldn't be again the JDK bundled
xalan, since this is loaded with the Bootstrap CL? (testing my CL
knowledge here :)

> We don't need xsl during bootstrap, and as far as I know we
> don't have any requirements for a specific xsl version. The
> jira issue is a user request to update the xalan version
> since we do bundle it. So maybe just dropping it and
> defaulting to the jdk version is the best approach. We really
> should avoid introducing library dependencies unless they are
> needed. The xalan.jar dates from jboss-3.2 and the fact that
> jdk1.3 had no bundled xsl implementation.

Fine, I'll remove it and see if anyone complaints :)

Maybe we should go for an 4.0.4.RC2, too.